Sunday, July 20, 2008

Finally a Farm

I've been talking to Brian for years about wanting to get a goat. Then earlier this summer I talked to him about how I'd really, really love to get a goat and some chickens and kind of live off the land a little. He said it was not a smart idea because of the price of feed right now.

Well, guess what Brian said this morning . . . "I've been thinking that it might not be too bad to have some chickens" or something to that effect. At first I thought he was teasing me, but then I realized he wasn't, and I was so excited I could barely speak. I've been wanting chickens my whole life. I know it's not a sure thing yet, but if we get them this is the kind I'd like to get. . .



Barred Rock Chickens are a "good solid chicken, not discouraged by coldness" which is exactly what we need. They lay about 200 eggs per year. I'm so excited!

And then as if that wasn't good enough Brian mentioned that maybe we could think about a goat too, and then he asked me what kind I would want.

We talked about fencing in a portion of the yard by the apple trees. The goat could keep the ground cleaned up from the apples and the chickens could roost in the trees. I can hardly wait!!!

1 comment:

It's a beautiful day! said...

How exciting!!! I bet the girls will love chasing the chickens around:-) Thanks for letting us in your blog!