Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Day of Failures!

So today was a day of failures other than the butter, which turned out good, ...but at least we tried! 

Attempt #1 (which I've made tons of times)...Bread. I got caught up in pickle making and forgot about it, and it overrose in this hot humid air. Now it is defeated. The verdict is still out on how it tastes.

This is Hailey kneading it.  It was her first time to knead it completely by herself.

Here is our pick from the garden this morning.  This is our first cucumber harvest.

Here we are with our friend, Jenn, who usually comes to the farm on Tuesdays to be a country girl.  Here we are adding the spices to our pickle jars.


Unfortunately, this is the only jar of pickles that sealed.  One broke in the canner.  Four didn't seal.  But they do look pretty, and we will enjoy them from the refrigerator.  I do need to figure out why they didn't seal and rectify that situation though.  I'm not about to heat my kitchen up to 95 degrees and not end up with a pantry full of food for this winter.   This jar looks awesome.  I made it extra spicy for Brian.

In the background you can see one of my sad loaves of bread.  We have an amazing bread recipe that we use, but this batch got a little defeated today.  I believe I was trying to do too many things at one time.  Next time, I'll take each thing a little slower.  Today I was trying to work fast to keep the kids busy.  I don't want them thinking that each day's mission is to just play all day.  We have lots of work that needs done.

On top of this, our goats got out of the fence for the first time, and thankfully, as far as I know, they did not get into the garden.

There's always tomorrow.  I believe tomorrow I'll try a slice of the bread and decide whether it's fit for human consumption or not.  Thankfully, it wasn't made with the wheat I am growing.  I would probably cry if I had to throw out bread made from hand raised wheat.

And tomorrow I'll check the garden for signs of goat munching.  If I find any, you'll know....by the bloodcurdling scream coming from my direction.

No comments: